Apply for Financial Aid
Follow these steps to apply for financial aid and begin your climb at BU!
File the FAFSA starting on Oct. 1
The first step is to file your FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid). It's free to file and you'll need to file each year while you're enrolled at BU. This will help determine your eligibility for grants, loans, work-study jobs, and some types of scholarships.
- List Bloomsburg University on your application as your first choice school/current school
- Our Federal School Code is: 003315
- Pennsylvania residents should complete the FAFSA by May 1 for potential state aid eligibility through PHEAA (Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency). You can apply for the PA State grant immediately after completing the FAFSA through a link on the confirmation page or by visiting the PHEAA website and creating an account. Not a PA resident? Contact your state's higher education assistance agency to explore potential options.
To file your FAFSA, you'll need the following:
- Student and parent FSA IDs
- Student and parent Social Security numbers
- Student and parent prior, prior year federal income tax returns (include Schedule 1, 2 & 3 if applicable) Note: The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (DRT) is an option within the FAFSA to automatically retrieve and transfer income and tax data from the IRS into the FAFSA. This is the preferred method, if possible.
- Student and parent prior, prior year W-2 forms and other records of money earned
- Student and parent prior, prior year untaxed income received including: workers’ compensation, child support, payments to tax deferred pension, savings plans, etc.
- Current bank statements & records of stocks, bonds, 529 plans and other investments
Check Your Eligibility
To receive financial aid, there are certain eligibility requirements you'll need to meet before applying and to maintain after you're enrolled.
Get Your FSA ID
The FSA ID is a unique username and password you'll need to access all Federal Student Aid websites. You'll use it for multiple years so we recommend you store it in a safe location that you will remember. If you're a dependent student, your parent will need to create their own parent FSA ID for use on these sites as well.
Apply for Scholarships
Each year, Bloomsburg University awards nearly $4 million in scholarship funds - with $2.6 million awarded to incoming students - like you!
First-year and transfer students: most scholarships are awarded by the Admissions office. Students who apply prior to Jan. 15 are given priority consideration. Students who are awarded a scholarship will receive an award notification, and the scholarship will be posted to the student's financial aid record.
Current students: Applications are available after Jan. 1 and the deadline to apply is March 1.
Already Received a Scholarship?
Congratulations! Make sure to let us know and submit your scholarship checks and award letters to the:
336 Arts and Administration Building
400 E. Second St.
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Receive and Review Your Financial Aid Notification
Once your FAFSA is processed, your financial aid will be determined.
You'll receive a Financial Aid award notice electronically - so be sure to check your BU email often!
Review your financial aid package to determine how much you still owe and any additional forms our office may still need from you. You'll find this on your To-Do list in your My Husky account.
Financial Aid Office Tip
Your BU email is the primary way our office will communicate with you. Check your BU email and the To-Do List in your My Husky account often!
Accept Your Financial Aid Award
Make sure you provide our office with all requested items or you'll delay your financial aid and the start of your climb at BU!
- Sign and submit a FERPA (Family Education Rights and Privacy Act) form to release your information to those you choose other than yourself such as a parent/supporter helping you pay for college.
- Accept/decline Federal Direct Loans on your MyHusky account.
- Complete the registration to-do list item for each semester once assigned
Questions? We Have Answers!
Not sure what you need or have questions?
Help is just an email or phone call (570-389-4297) away!
Complete Your Final Steps
If you're taking Direct subsidized/unsubsidized student loans, you'll need to complete the following in order to finalize the financial aid process:
- Visit studentaid.gov and log in using your FSA ID (Username/Password).
- Complete Entrance Counseling
- Complete the Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Additional Financing Options (if needed):